A new toilet is relatively easy to install provided you follow the right steps. You don’t have to incur the extra plumbing costs associated with toilet installation. Before installing a toilet, you should have the right tools. We will guide you on how to install a toilet and the appropriate tools you need for the job.
1. Assemble Your Tools
Before you embark on installing a toilet, ensure you have the following tools:
- Tape measure
- Flange bolts
- Tube of cork
2. Prepare the floor
Your toilet will be mounted onto this area. You will need to make several measurements first. Below are the steps you should follow when preparing the floor
- Inspect the hole on the floor and ensure it is big enough to hold the toilet flange.
- If not, you can drill a bigger hole that can secure the flange.
- The soil pipe is probably already fitted onto the soil pipe, which connects to the drainage system.
- Fit the toilet flange onto the soil pipe and ensure it is safely secured on the floor level.
- Attach the flange firmly on the floor using screws.
- Insert the bolts into the slots of the flange and slip a washer over the bolts to secure them to the collar of the flange.
- Set the toilet wax ring on top of the flange.
3. Begin Toilet Assembly
Assemble the toilet bowl and tank by taking the following steps.
- Insert the tank bolts and washers through the holes below the tank with the thread side facing down.
- Set the disc below the tank (spud washer) into place.
- Gently lower the tank onto the bowl and ensure the holes on the toilet bowl align with the tank bolts.
- Insert washers and nuts over each end of the bolts and tighten the nuts.
- Be careful not to over-tighten the nuts as the porcelain could crack.
- Place the toilet seats over the bowl and use bolts and nuts to secure the seats onto the bowl.
4. Begin Toilet Installation
After assembling the tank and the toilet bowl, follow the steps below to install your toilet.
- Lift your toilet and lower it over the flange bolts such that the holes on the base of the bowl align with the bolts.
- Secure your toilet bowl firmly over the wax ring.
- Insert washers and nuts over the bolts and tighten them using a wrench.
- Be careful not to crack the toilet by tightening the nuts too much.
- After they are tight enough, cut off the bolts just above the nuts using a hacksaw.
- Cover the exposed nuts using plastic caps on either side of the bowl.
5. Take the Following Water Supply Steps
Before connecting the toilet to the water supply, do the following:
- Shut off the water supply valve.
- Drain the excess water left in the pipe into a bucket.
- Replace the old supply line with a new one.
- Connect the supply line to the cistern and tighten the plastic nut until it is tight enough.
- Turn on the water supply and let the cistern fill with water.
- Flush to check if there are leaks.
- Apply cork around the base of the toilet to provide support and prevent leaks.
Contact Us for Assistance
You may now have a good idea of how to install a new toilet, however, in case of any challenges, you might need a licensed plumber to help you. If you require more information on how to install a toilet, get in touch with us today.